Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Boy Meets Venice

This weekend I went to Venice for Carnevale and it was incredible.  I took a water bus to get to and from the main plaza and took a leisurely stroll along the tiny Venetian sidestreets.  I also bought masks.  A lot of masks.  Il Canovaccio is famous throughout Venice for making some of the best Venetian masks and when I stepped into the shop, I couldn't help but be amazed at all the incredible works of art that surrounded me.  Il Canovaccio made the masks for the film Eyes Wide Shut, so naturally I had to buy the mask Tom Cruise wore in the film, as well as a few others.  The coolest part about Carnevale was all the costumed characters walking around.  They love to take pictures with tourists and show off their amazing costumes that I can only assume take a year to assemble in some cases.  There's not much more my words can do to describe the magic of Venice, so you'll just have to scroll through the pictures below.  Enjoy!

Vi amo tutti.